Friday, November 13, 2009

Back to Veggieville

Here's the story about my yo-yo vegetarian diet... it's very exciting so dust off the edge of your seat and here we go!
Both husband and I used to be vegetarians because while he was in law school, he was challenged by one of his professors (a vegetarian) to read an article by Alastair Norcross called "Puppies, Pigs, And People: Eating Meat and Marginal Cases". (To read the article in full, click here.) After reading the article the students had to defend their eating habits. Pretty cool assignment huh? Well I participated as well to help husband study (it was their final!) And after reading it we both realized that we couldn't defend it. I should have stayed ignorant, I love meat! But, change our habits we did and I'm not going to lie- it's hard! You have to be a lot more proactive about preparing what you eat and where you eat but all-in-all I do feel better about our decision.
Then I got pregnant I not only craved meat but found out I was anemic. Erg. My doctor suggested I add meat back into my diet and I did. (She really had to twist my arm!) And I loved it, every minute. But now I am no longer pregnant and am taking supplements to combat the anemia and feel great. I can put off going back to the veggie no longer. Sigh.
So there you have it and now I'm working on slowly getting rid of all meat products from my house and my life and it's sad. Husband is still deciding if he's going to go back fully or just at home (I do all the cooking so he has to be veggie here =) I'm hoping my "meat taste buds" switch over soon... I remember that it took awhile the first time to get used to veggieville. Let's hope it happens sooner than later this time!

3 comments:

  1. The Fred Story in the article is illustrative and not real, but I am sure you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lola: You are super! I can't believe you read the article, way to go super friend! How sad is the fred story? I especially love the "cocoamone" and the "human godiva gland".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are my favorites. lol. And how would he know how to extract it? Unless he was a puppy neurologist. And chocolate is good, but is it really worth it?

    Hubby and I stand by the fact that we cannot justify eating meat. But we do. Good for you for being able to kick the dead animal protein habit.

    Oh, and anemia sucks. I'm sorry you have to take those awful huge pills. :( I hated those when I was preggers.

    ReplyDelete