Monday, July 30, 2007

Baby Shower Gift

I ran into my first ethical dilemma this weekend. It seems that we were invited to a cousin's baby shower, but I didn't get the invitation until the day before. Oh great! I can either buy the baby something used, (pretty sure mom would hate that!) Or try to make something on the fly. I thought to myself “I am a very crafty individual; I have a degree in art for goodness sakes! I can totally do this.” So away I went to the fabric store to buy some supplies and ending up spending way more than I probably would have spent just buying an actual present, but that’s not the point, is it? And most of this was due to lack of planning. So, I’ll know better for next time. Well, I started making this super cute one-sy and I had a really cute design idea for the front. Well, I got the design all finished, but turns out, baby clothes are really, really hard to sew!! They’re so tiny!! Not to mention that it dawned on me half way through cutting out the pattern that I didn’t even know how big the baby was. Great.

Stayed up as late as I could working on it, and started early the next morning, as the shower was in the afternoon. Calamities of calamities! I had a snap snafoo! (Oh yeah, I went there…) Completely ruined the whole thing. Pretty sure babies aren’t fans of straight pins. I finally just decided to go with it. After all, they’re family… I wrapped the darn thing up, using cellophane and an old record I melted into a bowl in the oven (very cool!) Then, I made her open it and everyone got a real good laugh at my ineptness… It was a hit! I promised that I would definitely keep working on it and hopefully finish it before baby starts walking! Turns out, people are really understanding when it comes to handmade gifts.

Well, a good lesson learned. I’m going to have to start keeping a couple of gifts on hand to avoid this situation again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment