Thursday, January 7, 2010

Book Review: Sewing Green

I was at the book store last month and had to have this book Sewing Green: 25 Projects Made with Repurposed & Organic Materials. I have been on a serious sewing kick because of this book. Most of what is in this book is common sense; buying material at thrift stores, repurposing things you would be throwing out, etc. But there are some great projects in here like making an apron out of a man's dress shirt and how to make reusable sandwich wraps (might help a little with my ziploc obsession).
So armed with my new repurposing resolve, I visited my local Goodwill and found a great lime green sheet to remake into a bed skirt for a twin guest bed we found on Craig's list. And here is the result:


Cute right? I had to buy the comforter (boo) as there weren't any at my LTS (local thrift store), but I added the quilted stripe to match it to the rest of the room using scraps I had left over. 
Back to the book: it has some great info. that I had no idea about like: did you know that 4.5% of our lanfill space is used for textile waste? Yeah. I know. Conclusion: loving the book and will be using craft night to make some of these fab projects-- more updates on those later!

1 comment:

  1. um... your daughter is so cute I can't even stand it. And I totally hate kids.

    Wft? How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete