Thursday, December 10, 2009

Handmade XMas Gifts

This year, the family and I are trying a new thing: making each other Christmas gifts. It seemed like a great idea at the time (take the focus off of shopping for the holidays and put it back where it belongs) but now I am rethinking this idea. I should have started like January of last year making gifts as I think I will be lucky to finish one before December 24. Eeek! Maybe everyone will just settle for me making copious amounts of food and that can be everyone's gift. What do you think? Any quick gift projects you like to use? Come one hippies! Help a gal out for the holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Megan!

    I have like three half knit Christmas gifts that are just never going to be finished in time. So I started to brainstorm gift ideas that I could make really, really fast and decided to make homemade heating bags. I have one that I bought at a store and I use it all the time. I looked at it and thought, this is SO easy to make, yet I paid $16 for it. So I decided to make a bunch for my sister/mom/in-laws. I just sew up a rectangle of thicker cotton cloth and fill it 2/3 full of flax seeds. Super easy, and you can fill it with something a little cheaper than flax seeds too (esp. if you don’t have a bulk foods store close to where you are living). I know lots of people who fill them with uncooked rice.

    This blog has an idea for a heat pack that goes way beyond my sewing ability, but looks cool: http://www.funkyfriendsfactory.com/homemade-heat-pack.aspx

    I am a nerd and am also making homemade felt cat toys (with catnip inside).

    Say hi to Matt for me!

    Julie (closet blog reader and former classmate of Matt's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could take a bunch of jars and fill them with the dry ingredients for cookies, then tie a patch of fabric around the top and include instructions.

    Voila! instant cookie mix. Also ornaments are a nice thing to receive. If you crochet you can make a bunch of icicles quickly and little wreaths. The possibilities are endless.

    I can't think of more right at this moment, but craftster is full of ideas for all talents.

    And since you have a baby people might let you get away without making anything. I am playing the new baby card this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete